1678total views of outputs
2180total downloads of outputs
0views of outputs this month
0downloads of outputs this month
I am an Associate Professor in Acoustics and Building Services, and the Course Director for MSc Environmental and Architectural Acoustics. I am an expert in acoustic materials, environmental noise, building acoustics, noise and vibration control, ventilation and air conditioning, and biomedical acoustics. I worked as a researcher in acoustics at the University of Hull. I have successfully completed several funded research projects both there and at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
I obtained my PhD degree in Acoustics and Vibration at the University of Hull in 2006. I have supervised several PhD students and research assistants.
My research interests include:
Materials: Developing and characterising novel materials (sound absorbing materials, noise barriers, composite panels) to solve noise and vibration problems caused by different applications.
Duct Acoustics: I have investigated aerodynamic and acoustic properties of sound propagation through circular and rectangular ducts, testing a range of sound absorbing materials/plates mounted in the duct, calibrating duct systems, determining air flow chart for the duct systems.
Design and development of devices: I have developed and tested several acoustic devices to investigate the acoustical properties of materials.
CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) & FEM (Finite Element Analysis): Simulated acoustic waves in an impedance tube used in combustion engines, and Used FEM to determine structural properties of materials
Biomedical Acoustics: Investigation of acoustical properties of the bone using a novel vibro-acoustic model; developed a vibro-acoustic model to determine structural parameters of the rigid porous materials (bone); Investigation of bone parameters that are effecting sound propagation through it using ultrasound and Biot theory;
I have investigated the reliability of the stethoscopes to detect tracheal sounds for determining lung related problems, and I am working on novel methods to detect lung/mouth/tracheal sounds.
Currently, I am co-supervising three PhD projects ranging from acoustic mate-materials, sound propagation through plastic duct systems, and detecting osteoporosis using vibro-acoustic methods.
I formed a Biomedical Acoustic Special Interest Group (BA SIG) as part UK Acoustics Network to establish links between biomedical researchers and the rest of UK acoustics community, and more widely with the international biomedical acoustics community. I am deputy leader of Biomedical Acoustics SIG.
I have undertaken consultancy work including impact noise assessment, road traffic noise, building sound insulation, determination of sound pressure levels emitted by control panels under vibration, measuring the absorption and transmission loss of porous materials, monitoring noise at festival and noise mapping of events.
I am an Editorial Board Member for Journal of Applied Acoustics. I am a reviewer for Journal of Applied Acoustics, and Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. I have organised and chaired webinars and workshops, and also chaired some conference session at acoustics conferences.
Environmental and Architectural Acoustics - MSc
Building Services Engineering - MSc
Building Services Engineering - BEng (Hons)
IOA Acoustics and Noise Control - Diploma
Postgraduate Research Supervision
|Mr Eric Ballestero||OVERHAULING SOUND DIFFUSION IN AUDITORIA USINGDEEP-SUBWAVELENGTH ACOUSTIC METAMATERIALS||PhD|
|Mrs Suzana Zekic||Doctoral Research Project||PhD|
|Mr Onur Ozkaya||Doctoral Research Project||PhD|
Awarded in the last 5 years
|LSBU Panel Review Training||PhD|
Southampton Solent University
• Course Leader for MSc Applied Acoustics since September 2016. Carrying out MSc course administrative duties.
• Admission Tutor for Acoustic courses since September 215 and for Media Tech courses since September 2016. Carrying out administrative duties as admission tutor.
Teaching and Learning
• Developed and updated teaching and learning materials informed by related sector and by using recent research outputs in this field for new and existing modules.
• I reflected on, assessed and modified my own teaching methods and approaches as gained from peer feedback, student feedback and official student surveys.
• Providing advice and guidance to students in relation to their studies, and resolving students’ problems, such as students failing to submit work.
• Supervising postgraduate (Master and Diploma) student projects
• Developing SOL (VLE) pages, and updating teaching and learning materials for the modules I teach.
• Taking the lead in specialist fields.
• Preparing assessment briefs and participating in peer review process of them, participating in the examination/assessment process including the setting of exam papers, preparing marking schemes,
agreeing marks with other staff, marking exams, presentations, and assignments
Course development and course structure update
• Contributed to the development of MSc in Applied Audio Engineering course.
• Contributed to the development of MSc in Applied Acoustics course, BEng and MEng Audio and Acoustics Engineering, and BEng Acoustics courses.
• Contributed to the validation and accreditation of Acoustic and Media-Tech courses.
• Developed new Modules and wrote Module descriptors for them.
• Wrote new Course handbook and updating it for MSc Applied Acoustics course.
• Had regular meetings with admissions team and marketing team, and email exchange to discuss interviews/admissions/marketing for acoustics courses, and for media technology courses.
• Attending open days and course recruitment activities.
• Generating a range of bone structures
• Developing an orthogonally-anisotropic Biot-Johnson-Allard (BJA) model in which the dependences of tortuosity and permeability on porosity and angle.
• Making measurements using 100 kHz and 1 MHz transducers on the replica bones in a waveguide.
• Compare data and predictions for acoustical transmission.
• Supervising undergraduate and post-graduate students in Acoustic research centre.
• Writing reports, conference and journal papers on the research outcomes.
• A novel work investigating the CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulation of the impedance tube with and without temperature gradient in presence and in absence of a Helmholtz resonator has been done.
• The results have been compared with the predictions obtained from a model describing the behaviour of one-dimensional acoustic oscillations in ducts with and without an axial temperature gradient. • Writing journal papers on the research outcomes
• Experimental investigations of fluid loading effects on the plate vibration,
• Predicting the performance of poroelastic-splitter silencers in flow duct,
• Predicting the surface impedance of clamped poroelastic plate with cavity systems,
• Experimental demonstration of the effects of multiple perforated layers in Flow Duct,
• Responsible for the undergraduate and MSc students in Acoustic research centre, helping with their projects.
|Proposal||Project||Role||Funder||Status||Status last updated|
|Analysis of the quality of lung sound recordingsand investigating whether it effects clinical assesment||Academic grant||Principal Investigator||Dunhill Medical Trust||OPEN Approved for submission||Mar 2020|
|Air-Source Heat Pump Noise and Permitted Development Rights In Wales||Air-Source Heat Pump Noise and Permitted Development Rights In Wales||Co-Investigator||Welsh Government||OPEN Approved for submission||Dec 2022|
|An investigation of sound capturing and the quality of sound recording in elderly patients||Accoustics pilot||Principal Investigator||UKAN+||OPEN Submitted||Oct 2022|
BSc (Hons) Applied Sound Engineering course
Experimental acoustic testing of alternative ventilation ducts
Zekic, S., Gomez-Agustina, L., Aygun, H. and Chaer, I. (2022). Experimental acoustic testing of alternative ventilation ducts. Proceedings of the INTER-NOISE 2022 51th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering.
Metadiffusers for quasi-perfect and broadband sound diffusion
Ballestero, E., Jiménez, N., Groby, J., Aygun, H., Dance, S. and Romero-García, V. (2021). Metadiffusers for quasi-perfect and broadband sound diffusion. Applied Physics Letters. 119 (4), p. 044101. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0053413
Scattering Evaluation of Equivalent Surface Impedances of Acoustic Metamaterials in Large FDTD Volumes Using RLC Circuit Modelling
Ballestero, E., Hamilton, B., Jiménez, N., Romero-García, V., Groby, J., Aygun, H. and Dance, S. (2021). Scattering Evaluation of Equivalent Surface Impedances of Acoustic Metamaterials in Large FDTD Volumes Using RLC Circuit Modelling. Applied Sciences. 11 (17), p. e8084. https://doi.org/10.3390/app11178084
Sound radiation from composite plates
Aygun, H. (2021). Sound radiation from composite plates. Acoustics 2021. Institute of Acoustics, Silbury Court, 406 Silbury Boulevard, Milton Keynes MK9 2AF 11 - 12 Oct 2021 The Institute of Acoustics.
Vibroacoustic analysis of composite thin fiberglass plate
Aygun, H. (2021). Vibroacoustic analysis of composite thin fiberglass plate. http://www.spacustica.pt/euronoise2021/. Madeire Portugal 25 - 27 Oct 2021
Structural and acoustical performance of recycled glass bead panels
Aygun, H. and McCann, F (2020). Structural and acoustical performance of recycled glass bead panels. Construction and Building Materials. 258, pp. 119581-119581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.119581
Scattering of acoustic waves in air and water filled 3D stereo-lithographical (STL) porous rigid materials
Aygun, H (2020). Scattering of acoustic waves in air and water filled 3D stereo-lithographical (STL) porous rigid materials. Inter-Noise 2020, Seoul. Seoul 23 - 26 Aug 2020
The quality and reliability of the mechanical stethoscopes and Laser Doppler Vibrometer (LDV) to record tracheal sounds
Aygun, H. and Apolskis, A. (2020). The quality and reliability of the mechanical stethoscopes and Laser Doppler Vibrometer (LDV) to record tracheal sounds. Applied Acoustics. 161, p. 107159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2019.107159
Measurement methods of acoustics properties for alternative ventilation ducts
Zekic, S, Gomez-Agustina, L, Aygun, H and Chaer, I (2020). Measurement methods of acoustics properties for alternative ventilation ducts. Inter Noise 2020. Seoul 23 - 26 Aug 2020 International Institute of Noise Control Engineering .
Experimental validation of deep-subwavelength by diffsuion by acoustic metadiiffusers
Dance, S., Ballestero, E., Aygun, H., Jimenez, N., Groby, J-P. and Romero-Garcia, V. (2019). Experimental validation of deep-subwavelength by diffsuion by acoustic metadiiffusers. Applied Physics Letters. 115 (8). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5114877
A viscoelastic system for determining acoustical and mechanical parameters of the bone
Aygun, H. (2019). A viscoelastic system for determining acoustical and mechanical parameters of the bone. Applied Acoustics. 150, pp. 70-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2019.01.034
Investigation of acoustical and structural parameters of recycled glass bead composite panels
Aygun, H and McCann, F (2019). Investigation of acoustical and structural parameters of recycled glass bead composite panels. Inter.Noise 2019 - the 48th International Congress and Exhibition on Noise Control Engineering. Madrid, Spain 17 - 21 Jun 2019
Determining mechanical parameters of the bone using a vibro-acoustic method
Aygun, H (2019). Determining mechanical parameters of the bone using a vibro-acoustic method. Acoustics 2019. Milton Keynes, UK 13 - 14 May 2019
Tracheal Sound Acquisition Using Laser Doppler Vibrometer
Aygun, H. and Apolskis, A (2018). Tracheal Sound Acquisition Using Laser Doppler Vibrometer. ACOUSTICS 2018 - ACWSTEG 2018. City Hall, Cathay's Park, Cardiff 23 - 24 Apr 2018 London South Bank University.
Characterization of Acoustical Properties of Felt and Carpet Made of Natural and Environmentally Friendly Materials
Aygun, H. (2017). Characterization of Acoustical Properties of Felt and Carpet Made of Natural and Environmentally Friendly Materials. Open Journal of Acoustics. 7 (2), pp. 27-38. https://doi.org/10.4236/oja.2017.72004
Why research informed teaching (RIT) in acoustics education: How can we embed research in acoustics education to improve students' learning?
Aygun, H. (2017). Why research informed teaching (RIT) in acoustics education: How can we embed research in acoustics education to improve students' learning? 24th International Congress on Sound and Vibration. London, UK 23 - 27 Jul 2017 London South Bank University.
Investigation of acoustic performance of compressed wool carpets
Aygun, H. (2016). Investigation of acoustic performance of compressed wool carpets. 23rd International Congress on Sound and Vibration. Athens, Greece 10 - 14 Jul 2016 London South Bank University.
Behaviour of ultrasonic waves in porous rigid materials: an anisotropic Biot-Attenborough model
Aygun, H. and Barlow, C (2015). Behaviour of ultrasonic waves in porous rigid materials: an anisotropic Biot-Attenborough model. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 581, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/581/1/012006
Ultrasonic wave propagation through porous ceramics at different angles of propagation
Aygun, H. and Barlow, C (2014). Ultrasonic wave propagation through porous ceramics at different angles of propagation. Applied Acoustics. 88 (0), pp. 6-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2014.07.011
Behaviour of acoustic waves in a duct with Helmholtz resonator in presence of a temperature gradient
Aygun, H. and Rubini, P (2014). Behaviour of acoustic waves in a duct with Helmholtz resonator in presence of a temperature gradient. Institute of Acoustics 40th Anniversary Conference. NEC, Birmingham, UK 15 - 16 Oct 2014 http://toc.proceedings.com/24268webtoc.pdf Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics Volume 36 Pt.3.
A Review of the State of Art in Applying Biot Theory to Acoustic Propagation through the Bone
Aygun, H., Attenborough, K and Postema, M (2014). A Review of the State of Art in Applying Biot Theory to Acoustic Propagation through the Bone. Open Access Library Journal. 1 (9), pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.4236/oalib.1100994.
Acoustic wave propagation through panels that are made of used tea bags
Aygun, H. and Mundula, S. (2022). Acoustic wave propagation through panels that are made of used tea bags. Inter-Noise 2022. Glasgow 21 - 24 Aug 2022
Acoustic and Aesthetics: The Effect of Paint on Fabric Backed by a Sound Absorber
Aygun, H. and Diaz-Mena, A.M. (2022). Acoustic and Aesthetics: The Effect of Paint on Fabric Backed by a Sound Absorber. Inter-Noise 2022. Glasgow 21 - 24 Aug 2022
An Audio-Based Vehicle Classifier Using Convolutional Neural Network
Aygun, H. and Bakirci, E. (2022). An Audio-Based Vehicle Classifier Using Convolutional Neural Network. Inter-Noise 2022. Glasgow 21 - 24 Aug 2022